Monday, January 21, 2008

:: " ARE WE THERE YET" ::





Are we there yet?

The transformative nature of travel and discovery

" I've spent so many years longing for the moment I could indulge myself and do nothing whatsoever... Taking a trip to nothingness, I soon forgot not only about daily life but also about my habits, and the rules I usually set myself." - Manu Guillaud on 'Aesthetic Travel', The Lonely Planet Guide to Experimental Travel

"To avoid discovery, I stay on the run. To discover things for myself, I stay on the run."
- Jeanette Winterson, The Powerbook

Travel during the Age of Enlightenment was a means of research. For the Romantics, travel was a part of spiritual discovery. What do we seek when we take a trip today?

'Are We There Yet?' examines this question with new works from six artists of the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, and University of Huddersfield Fine Art Degree Programme. Inspired by a recent trip to Huddersfield, London, and Paris, the group began experimenting with text, drawings, photography, and installation to create a visual record of their respective experiences and explorations as artist-travellers.

In turn, they ask us the following questions: What can we learn from travel? What do we want to bring back? Most importantly, what can we do to create more meaningful journeys?

Travel has the ability to transform us in ways we may not realise or plan for. This show suggests that we need to first allow change to happen, for it to take place. By breaking the rules we may set for ourselves, losing our 'baggage', and staying on the run, we enable encounters we may never have foreseen.

...

'Are We There Yet?' features the works of Chang Hao Ran, Farah d., Regina De Rozario, Lim Zisin, Clare Tan, and Julia Teng.


P.S dear viewers and peeps, do come by and take a look at the show... coz it will be a wonderful to share what we had do and get from throughout the UK trip.. do drop by ... thanks you~ ^-^

No comments: